Here are some of the roles needed to get the website up and running. Contribute your talents so your voice is heard and to help others.
- Researching and finding what content is needed, or that people would find useful and interesting.
- Creating the website content (Creating and publishing the posts on the website itself).
- Writing articles and blogs – either about factual and useful information or inspiring stories.
- Curating content from the web (that is, select and present other content.) Mustn’t duplicate it, but can link to it, write about it, do a summary of it.
- Proofreading – spelling, flow, jargon-busting, does it all make sense?
- Editing or organising the content so it is attention grabbing and easy to understand. Sometimes less is more, would a good photo or graphic help to get the point across?
- Photography and illustrations – creating, sourcing (royalty-free images online), editing.
- Video – directing, filming, editing. Finding good YouTube videos to use.
- Promoting the website and articles on social media so that others are aware of it
- Being a talent spotter – finding others who can help with any of the above!
Do you have any other ideas?
Would you like to help?
Please leave a comment below.
Some comments about the website…
– For the home page, I think the second “what would you like help with” option is best, it is allows the website to have a clearer, more professional look and feel to it. Where as the first option looked like something I would find on a school computer (not good). So the second option is the better one, but I still feel it could have a nicer design…
– For the meet the team page, I think the way the titles and headings are presented look slightly childish. However, I love the use of colour!
– For the useful links page, I love that you have categorised it as this is clearer and easier to use. If someone needed quick access to help, this will benefit them. But we do need more links, because it can be quite disheartening when you click on a category looking for help and only see one option (Health for example). I also feel that the links are more for emergencies. Like the housing category is filled with links for emergency sheltering, which of course is helpful but we want to support care leavers so that they don’t need these links.
We need to provide categories/information for jobs (job seeking, job interviews, how to write a CV or cover letter etc) Budgeting (how to budget, a link to a premade budgeting table etc) Self improvement/development (books for self care/development, good blogs, YouTube videos, anything that inspires or motivates a young person to become the person they want to be etc) Mental health (finding a therapist, how to start a conversation about your mental health, things you can do to look after your mental health, emergency help lines, creating a plan for when you are struggling (rather than the rubbish one CAMHS hands out) etc)
Basically we need to make this website different, we don’t want to JUST provide emergency links, we want to make it a place where a care leaver can turn to for advise and inspiration.
I will have a look and find links for these categories I just made up…
– For the blog page, this definitely needs to be categorised other wise it will become to chaotic/disorganised to bother even looking at. Also if it is not categorised you risk good/useful blogs will just get lost and eventually not being read.
Also, just an idea, but I think successful care leavers should write blogs. It is more personal and care leavers will be able to connect better to someone that has gone through the same thing as them. These blogs can be about obstacles they over came and how they did it, stories, a how to guide…anything, but I think it is a great idea.
I volunteer to do one, if you like the idea.
– Summery, we need to change the style slightly to a more professional looking one and ensure that the website coordinates well. Make sure everything is as organised as possible (add categories). Be inspiring and motivating, that what care leavers really need! More links like the ones suggested.
Perhaps also add a search bar in the menu, this makes it a lot easier to access something specific.
Added! Also added a search box on the home page.
Thanks so much for your feedback – it’s really helpful.